HDPE (high-density polyethylene) and polypropylene are polymers used throughout plastic pipe applications in many industries. These polymers have different physical properties which reflect their chemical compositions and formulation.
There are many benefits to choosing HDPE compositions for pipe systems over polypropylene, including. These include but are not limited to –
- Better deflection and stress resistance
- Lower fatigue times
- HDPE Polymer is slightly more flexible than Polypropylene, allowing more pipe movement
- Higher abrasion resistance
- Designs with larger ribs and corrugations – increasing surface area and structural loading
- Competitive design life
- Performance during environmental stressors
- Conservation of physical properties across the asset’s service life
To assess whether HDPE pipe is a suitable alternative to polypropylene pipe on your stormwater projects, our helpful team can help you navigate the necessary design decisions and device specifications.